Thursday, November 11, 2010

Baby Update

I'm officially 34.6 weeks pregnant. My uterus is measuring 47 weeks according to my doctor. This baby girl feels like she may fall right out of me. I can't quite explain how miserable my body is feeling. Two weeks ago my doctor asked me to stay off of my feet because I'm constantly contracting, it's not helping much.

I'm at the doctor twice a week now because the baby's heart beat has been irregular since week 32. Nothing very serious, just something they have to keep an eye on to make sure her heart doesn't start to beat too fast. If her heart was to start beating too fast, it could become a very serious matter. I've been told that normally babies with this condition will convert to a normal heart rhythm after birth. They said this is another one of those fluky things. I had a 1% chance of this happening and a 1% chance of having the excessive amniotic fluid. I can honestly say I'm starting to become a little paranoid over this pregnancy. No more 1% chances of anything else please.

We will be doing an amnio a few days before Thanksgiving to check on the maturity of the baby's lungs. If her lungs are mature, she should arrive a few days after Thanksgiving. They will with draw some of the extra fluid out while they are doing the amnio to try and relieve some of the distention going on in my uterus. A normal pregnancy has about 1 liter of amniotic fluid, I'm carrying around 2+ liters. The doctor will not be able to break my water in a normal way, he will have to do a pin prick sized hole to create a small leak. With all the extra fluid in there, it increases the chance of a cord accident or the placenta becoming unattached if my water was to suddenly break. Either thing would require an emergency cesarean to save the baby.

The baby should be around 7 pounds when she is born at 37 weeks. She was weighing in around 5.4 pounds two and a half weeks ago. I'm still hoping and praying for a healthy baby with no hidden defects or health problems. I think maybe this little girl thought her mother needed a few extra gray hairs.

2 comments:

Brad and Tiffany said...

Sound like she will be a future swimmer. Hang in there. So happy for you!

sarita said...

You are amazing! We're praying that everything goes well with you and your sweet baby.

I wanted to let you know that last time I made the pumpkin dessert, I doubled the struessel topping and it was even more amazing. So if you really want to impress...

It's Thanksgiving, you can splurge, right? Just thought I'd let you know.

Say hello to your family from me! Happy Thanksgiving!